Monday, October 1, 2007

Shadow

Right now
Right in this moment
All that remains of a once roaring flame
Are tiny embers and
Smoke, wafting gently from the wick.
I was once enraged

Now?
Now I sit and think.
Thinking of so many things
And so many nothings

Thinking that where once was a man
Composed of anger and self-disgust
That man is gone
And I am now the echo of what was

I am Matt's thoughtful shadow

Though fret not, for I'm not alone.
Nay, not even am I me, but the sum
Of all the little lights around me.
Beautiful things that give shape to my formless
Existence.

And then there's one Light. One glorious orb. That when all of the little bulbs are far from sight or broken or dim, still radiates and will never fade.

I'm nothing but shadow, a form to accompany something real
Skewed by perception and angle
Faded by the darkness that surrounds
Bound to sidewalks and surfaces
But You still love me
And You give me more than I deserve

So draw near, dear Light, warm this shadow with Your rays. Allow this lowly apparition to know Your love and mercy. And if at all possible, twist this reality and manipulate it so that, despite all the laws that bind me to this two dimensional plane, I can feel and experience Your arms
wrapped around.
Bound naught by what surrounds
But by Your heart.

Amen

No comments: