Sunday, October 14, 2007

Lonely

It's a cold cold place
When you're that falling tree alone in the woods
Can they hear your cry?
The tougher question still is
Was there a sound at all?

It's when everything in our grasp is pulled away,
like a ship steadliy sinking to the surface
Of the silent sea
Articles and property
Sliding to their new home.
Slipping to the depths

I miss warmth and shelter
Missing what I had once
What I mistreated
What I let go of.

What I want most of all now in this moment
Is for someone to hold me
To be my strength
For I am without
And to show me
That I am not alone, nor weak, nor without

But where are those arms to squeeze the bow of the doomed vessel?
Where is that kindness shown to the silent giant flying to his doom?
Where is my comfort?
And why all these
Questions

Would you hear me if I fell?

1 comment:

Emily Anne said...

Oh my GOSH! Matthew...your metaphors are perfect, your language exquisite...this poem stirs the soul.